Tip! It is easier to bake the sponge cake a few days before you want to grill it. It also works just as well if you purchase a ready-made sponge cake.
50 grams of butter
100 ml milk
200 ml caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla sugar
300 ml wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
25 ml of concentrated elderflower juice
1 lemon or lime
400 ml cream + 1 tsp vanilla sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees. Then grease and bread your sugar cookie mould, I use a loaf tin, but you can use whatever shape you prefer.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until it's really white and fluffy. Mix the flour with the baking powder and vanilla sugar.
3. Then, melt the butter and pour in the milk to bring the temperature down. Add the mixture to the egg mixture and stir. Then stir in the flour mixture and pour into your sponge cake tin.
4. Bake your sponge cake for about 30 minutes. Always check if it is ready with a skewer. When a test skewer comes out dry, this means the cake is done. Take out and cool.
5. Cut the strawberries into the desired size and place them in a bowl.
6. Squeeze some lemon juice + zest, and elderberry juice and leave in the fridge for 2 hours.
7. Set the oven to 250 degrees.
8. Pour 300 ml of cream (save 100 ml and set aside) into an ovenproof dish and toast the cream in the upper part of the oven for about 20 minutes. Stir the surface a few times while toasting. The surface should turn dark.
9. Blend the cream completely smooth and then mix in the remaining 100 ml and flavour with vanilla sugar.
10. Grill the sponge cake on a griddle on the barbecue to give it a nice brown surface. Serve with burnt cream & marinated strawberries!